Thursday 8 October 2015

Getting started

I had an interesting skype chat with Adesola trying to identify areas of learning. Having started the conversation with vague ideas in my mind I came away with many more- much more focused. It's made me realise that whilst I am a dance teacher I actually do so much more than teach dance and many of the things I do just get taken for granted. It's really interesting dissecting my career, highlighting areas that might seem quite dull on the outside but once you step inside its a whole different thing.

An example we came up with was being able to facilitate creativity in others- yes I can do that!! I do it every day but its only through sitting down and actually having to think about it that I can can it an official title!! I looked at how this facilitation flows into my family life- I'm constantly getting my own children to be creative- and yes they dance. They have minds of their own, and their minds don't have to work in the same way as mine afterall we are all unique.

 A conversation I had with my almost 9 year old son was about his maths homework- subtraction. (Please note I hate maths). His teacher had told him a method, I sat down and told him how I would do it as it was a different way. I told him that as long as he comes up with the right outcome i.e correct answer it doesn't matter how he gets there, he could mix bits of the different methods together to do whatever works best for him. And so there it is, facilitating creativity in others, and it has nothing to do with dance!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great way to share our conversation Lisa, thank you for posting. I wonder how other people are finding looking at their careers in terms of transferable skills?
    I think that there are some skills that we learn from the experience of dancing but that can then be useful in other contexts. Although you could learn those skills in that other context too, some how because it came through the somatic learning of movement they is an element of understanding that gives unique insight.

    ReplyDelete